Monday, June 30, 2008

To Those Who Encounter Difference

Let’s just admit it to one another: Our differences make us uncomfortable. They make us question ourselves; they make us question the way we are living. And that is why we usually surround ourselves with people who we think are “like us.” Republicans with Republicans. Jews with Jews. Homeschoolers with homeschoolers. I guess when we have our tribes surrounding us, we don’t have to question who we are as often. Evidently, differences are just not handled well in the social world.

But still we are counseled to celebrate diversity. I don’t know how you feel, but difference is rarely a celebration zone as far as I can tell. It is a work zone, an alchemical zone, a wild and raucous place where what we define as different actually becomes a pressure to transform. And we don’t usually think it’s in our interest to be transformed. Just think about Republicans and Democrats. Few of them get close enough to be affected by one another’s views, and few would look too kindly on becoming more like the other.

So when we encounter something different from us, one of two things usually happens—someone assimilates or we battle for dominion. The third option is less typical. It involves people living in the tension of opposites, embracing the dynamic discomfort of dissimilar ways of being. It involves the ability to maintain one’s own course in the midst of all the other fish swimming upstream.

When this kind of inner transformation happens (and it does), we are likely to no longer interpret that original difference as “different.” We have grown so much larger that what was formerly a foreign quality is now encompassed within ourselves. Think about couples. Very often, these formerly independent individuals begin to talk alike, act alike, even think alike. That kind of shift can be hard work when there’s no incentive like romance to fuel us. And it’s too much for most of us, even on our best day.

Maybe we should be told to “endure diversity unless you want to do the gritty work of expanding yourself.” Maybe that would be a better proscription. At least it would be more accurate.

I’m not suggesting that we not do this inner work, or that we turn away from opportunities for self expansion. I’m just observing our ever-present tendency to create tribes and to be fundamentally uninterested in ways that are unfamiliar. I think this tendency is important to note, maybe even to honor. We can’t force ourselves to cross a river if we don’t have the know-how or the tools or the gumption. Sometimes we just have to make camp on the bank. Sometimes that just makes a lot more sense.

Most people who I know and love have children. I don’t. That essentially puts our lives at odds. We make different choices. We have different opportunities. We like different things. We feel different things. I’m usually okay with that. But sometimes when we come together, and they are caring for their kids or talking about being a parent, or making life choices that account for private school or family time, I feel a detectable sense of discontent—like I should have similar concerns, like their focus may just be more important than mine. Or vice versa. I sometimes think that their concerns are narrow or self-centered. Either way I go on this, once those differences become particularly distinct, I either have to change or retreat to my tribe.

Consider how you react when your ways are different from the ways of the people you encounter. It is likely that you are left feeling uneasy too. You may examine your worth or you may examine theirs. And then you are likely to think—however subconsciously—that either you should be different or they should be different, that you should assimilate or they should. Either way, that push to eliminate the “differentness” relieves the momentary tension. (It takes your focus away from the discomfort you feel because you are being asked to stretch.) But it circumvents the very fact of our differences—that you believe in this and I believe in that, that you do it this way and I do it that way, or that I feel this and you feel that.

So though we always have the choice to either make tribes or expand our definitions of ourselves, most times we make tribes—and then we act as if we’re in enemy territory when encountering someone from the other tribe. I think it would help immensely if we recognized this everyday tribe-making as a quality of being human and refrained from characterizing ourselves as essentially “bad” because of it. Sometimes, I feel gleeful when I transcend my tribal thinking, but there are other times when there is a power, a deep sense of belonging, that comes with being a member of a group. My sense is that these polarities are two sides of the same coin. So it makes sense to make allowances for this, don’t you think? Of course, we should attempt to stretch beyond our limits, but we should also honor when we’ve stretched as far as we can.

Laurie and Sam.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok so I will be the first to comment this entry. I grew up in a well multicultural environment. I am of African American decent and I have friends from many different backgrounds. That’s just a little about me I fully understand what you are saying about how people form groups based on similarities and not on differences. I personally think it’s because they are ignorant to the fact there is a lot that can be learned from someone that is different than you. When you form groups with people that are the same as you in every aspect than you are living only a part of what life has to offer and only knowing just that much knowledge. But I feel as though we should recognize our tribal differences but not seek comfort in them just because they exist but stride towards being one tribe. In the near future I do see even with this generation I think by the time I turn 40 that the world will loose 50% of its central raciest. Because the generation ahead of us has influence our younger minds to believe that difference is bad when as we grow up almost 95% of us can’t prove why by our own experiences, we only have those of our elders. This causes us to be hypocrites in a way because we say one thing but feel another. So when the influence dies out than I feel as the barriers will die also.

Anonymous said...

This blog really jumped out at me. Out of all of the ones on the website, I felt that I could actually write something meaningful for this one. I am constantly noticing people’s differences and I always want to learn more about them. Unfortunately, I feel as though I am crossing a line when I attempt to learn more. For example, I work with best buddies which is an organization that works with intellectually disabled kids and adults and so through that I have come to learn about mental disabilities and they fascinate me. So when I come across someone that is obviously mentally handicap, I tend to want to go up to them and ask about what has affected them in their life and how they have dealt with it. I always feel as though I can’t do that. On the same token, when I hear people talking and they are of a different culture than mine, it makes me curious about what they are thinking and how their life differs from mine. Up to this day however, I never feel comfortable enough to tap them on the shoulder and ask. Whenever I seem too interested in something, I feel as though the person that is different from me pushes me away and tends to retreat thinking that I have an ulterior motive to learning more from them. I wish that there would come a day that the differences between myself and others are openly discussed and no longer hidden.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this blog. When I am around others who are different from myself, I tend to feel uncomfortable. I am from Northeast Philadelphia, and my neighborhood is mostly white, although it is becoming more diverse than it was before. I feel that I tend to gravitate mostly towards whites, the majority of all my friends are white, and I think it's because that’s what I am use to, so I feel more comfortable. I believe if I had grown up in a neighborhood that was very diverse and predominately a different race that mine, I would feel more comfortable around that particular race. I like how the example of the couples was used because it is so true that couples will eventually begin to talk, act, and think alike. But for some people who can’t get past their difference with others, it will be hard to come together. I don’t think that it comes down to people being ignorant, like I said before, I think its just who they feel more comfortable around and that might end up being people like themselves. I agree that we are making strides away from race and ethnicity diversity, but I don’t necessarily agree with what someone else posted- “by the time he/she turns 40 that the world will lose 50% of its central racists.” That’s hard to say because no ones what will happen in the future and I don’t think you can put on number on people who are racists, and others who are not.

Anonymous said...

I, too, was particularly interested by this blog for personal reasons, and it made me think about how this discomfort applies to a story in my life. Although my story is completely unrelated to race, it is about growing accustomed to the differences between people instead of either side deciding to change or run away. It IS possible to “escape the tribe” and live with “an enemy” together in disharmony!

I come from a small town where everyone knows everything about everyone else. Everyone knows why they have distinguished their own collection of associates from all the other allied clusters, and it generally rests on the principle that each tribe remains separated from common interaction because every tribe is different – “why should I go out of my way to try to relate to someone who is different than I am, when I have my friends right here who are just like me?” And I’m not just talking high school cliques, I’m talking adult and professional divisions, ranging up to, for example, which nursing home to live in so that “I can be with others who are most like me.”

Anyway, when I was growing up, I was fortunate to be kind of oblivious to these divisions and was friends with pretty much anybody I came into contact with – or at least, friendly with pretty much anybody and they were friendly back. Enough so that my fellow classmates patted me on the back for this ability and gave me an award for being, essentially, “friendliest person” in my graduating class (which I still feel I don’t deserve, but the point is that the award reinforced my view that I was relatively open-minded, accepting, and tolerant of everybody).

Then I came to college. And I met my college roommate. And I HATED her! I hated how she lived her life! I immediately categorized her as shallow, somebody with whom I would not want to share a friendship. She was so fundamentally different from me – she glorified trashy celebrity magazines, worshipped reality TV and MTV, went on unnecessary weekly shopping sprees.

Or so I thought.

Then I took a step back and realized that she was into exactly the same things as my two best friends at home, as well as many other acquaintances of mine. The only differences between my college roommate and my friends back home were 1) the setting and 2) the fact that my friends from home and I have unknowingly worked through our differences over the years to the point where our dissimilarities are points of conversation that unite us. I was so used to just inherently being friends with people who were different from me that I forgot how I became friends with them in the first place.

It’s amazing what a change of heart can do for a friendship.

My freshman roommate and I, by the end of the school year, were best friends. We still, in our junior year, get lunch together on an almost-daily basis. I’ve allowed myself to realize that I can’t overcompensate for our differences. I can’t pretend that I’m interested in what Brangelina did last week, like she is, but I don’t have to look condescendingly on her lifestyle simply because she cares about celebrities and I don’t. Even though I sometimes question whether it’s okay that I DON’T care about the latest Grey’s Anatomy because she DOES, I realize that SHE sometimes questions whether it’s okay if she DOES care about the latest Grey’s Anatomy because I DON’T. This contrast between bipolar viewpoints, and our willingness to share our self-consciousness and, at times, our discomfort with each other, is what strengthens the harmony of our friendship.

Anonymous said...

When I was reading through this article, I thought about how this article applied to my own life. The descriptions of the pressure to fit into certain groups or roles set for me are enormous. I am constantly questioning and rerouting my beliefs when I encounter beliefs that are different or more strongly rooted than mine.

One of the most argumentative examples in my life for this is my case with relationships. I do not want to be in a relationship right now. This includes sexual and emotional aspects. If there were really someone in my life that I wanted to be with, I would be with the person. However, many times, I feel pressure from my female and male friends to pursue an individual or to have expectations for people to be with me. But I’m only a kid in my mind, and I am not ready to dedicate myself to something as serious as a relationship. I also don’t want to mess with the heads of the people who do. Yet sometimes, I think to myself “Well…maybe I do want a relationship.” This always occurs after I hear a friend talking about some romantic encounter they experienced or the connection they feel to their significant other. Every time afterwards I am conflicting in my head about what I want and if it is in fact what I really want. So, in essence, most times people heavily influence me. Perhaps I can counteract this influence though.

Anonymous said...

Reading this blog, I realized how much our differences could affect our perception of how we should act. I know sometimes in the presence of people of color, I feel that I have to choose my words more carefully because they might be sensitive to certain things. I do not use language that would be offensive in terms of being a “racist,” but some subjects may be a little touchy to someone else. This is especially true for someone you just met. It’s hard to tell someone’s background in a first encounter with them. Vast differences in beliefs may set two individuals in completely different realms, not allowing them to see eye to eye on anything. I feel that differences such as this are not due to our different races, but simply due to being raised differently. I have a black acquaintance back home and we see things in completely different lights. I do not attribute this to their skin color, just a difference in worldviews. I don’t feel that I need to conform to this persons view on things, nor do I think they should conform to mine. I can’t imagine a world where we all thought alike. I do feel that a compromise is in order in other such situations. Some people see differences because of color of skin, not because of worldviews. I feel that the only way they should change their attitudes is to not see things through a black and white camera. Working on our differences is vitally important, but for everyone to conform to a specific ideal would be irrational.